It’s a new year. Time for resolutions. And a big one that a lot of people make is eating better. So I was going to have healthy recipes here this week. And then I had a Twix brownie and I caved. 😉
I will have some healthy recipes, but I tell you…I just couldn’t help myself. One bite of these amazing brownies and you’ll agree. They are worth every last calorie. And what’s a few more minutes on the treadmill, right? Plus I’m finally getting over my cold so I wanted some celebratory calories. 😎
I love desserts that mimic favorite candy bars. I’m not really a person who goes out and buys a candy bar. I’d rather have something homemade and ooey goey. But an eclair that mimics the flavors of a Snickers bar? Now THAT I can handle.
These brownies have a few steps, but they are pretty simple to make nonetheless. Most of the work is easy stirring and mixing. These brownies have several layers—each wonderfully tempting. There is a bottom brownie layer that is tender and moist enough to eat all by itself. By why not go over the top? Layered on that is a mixture of cream cheese and crushed up shortbread cookies. Yum! Then on top of that is a lure of gooey delicious caramel. And then, because why not, it’s topped with a layer of chocolate. Excuse me while I drool. 😀
Believe me, if you’re having a bad day these are the brownies that will instantly turn it around. And if that’s not enough, try then with a big mug of coffee. You’ll be in your happy place for sure.
I will gladly eat nothing but lettuce and carrot sticks the whole rest of the day to get my paws on one of these. Enjoy!
- For Brownies:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- For Shortbread Layer:
- 1 10 oz package of Lorna Doone's shortbread cookies
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- For Caramel Layer:
- 1 14 oz bag caramel cubes, unwrapped
- 2 tbsp. milk
- For Chocolate Layer
- 1½ cups milk chocolate chips
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- For brownies: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 pan and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy.
- Add vanilla and eggs and mix until combined. Be careful not to overmix.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Set the brownies aside to cool completely.
- For the shortbread layer: Place cookies in a food processor and pulse until you have powder.
- Mix the cream cheese and cookie crumbs together until completely incorporated.
- Spread mixture over the cooled brownies and set aside.
- For caramel layer: Put the caramels and milk in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30 second intervals, stirring between each interval, until the caramels are melted and smooth.
- Pour the caramel over the shortbread layer and spread it so it completely covers all the corners.
- Place the brownies in the fridge for at least 10 minutes.
- For chocolate topping: Combine chocolate chips and butter in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 second intervals, stirring between each interval, until melted.
- Pour chocolate over caramel layer and spread so it covers evenly.
- Place brownies back in the fridge to set up for at least a half an hour.