Ahh, snacks. We all have our favorites. And sometimes we have very strong opinions about them too.
For instance, are you a salty or sweet snack kind of person? Some people are very firmly in the salty snack arena. To them, sweets are in the realm of dessert, only to be had after a meal. They would never consider sitting down and snacking on something sugary while watching TV. To them, chips are where it’s at. Cheetos. Doritos. Pretzels.
I, on the other hand, love sugar in all of it’s beautiful, varied forms. :D. Haha. Give me a few squares of chocolate and I’m like a content cat. Listen closely and you might just hear me purr like Gus or Oliver. 😉
I’ve never been much for salty snacks. But, of course, there is one exception. Popcorn.
Who doesn’t love sitting down with a bowl of popcorn while watching a movie or TV show? But I almost never have popcorn plain. I have to jazz it up a little bit. Add some chocolate chips, maybe, or chop up a few candy bars.
And why not throw in some gummy bears?
And hey, aren’t those caramel chips? Throw those in!
Heck, just toss the whole candy bowl in. 😀
At this rate the bowl ends up being 1/4 popcorn and the rest candy.
Oh heck, throw the M&Ms in there too. 🙂
Well, if you like that combination of salty and sweet, these cookies are right up your alley. They’re popcorn cookies! Woohoo! Celebration! Tender, chewy cookies dotted with chocolate chips, pecans, and speckled with popcorn. A perfect combination of sweet and savory.
And if you’re feeling crazy you could always experiment and throw some chopped up gummys in there, just to see what’ll happen. You’re secret is safe with me. 😀
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups popped popcorn, lightly crushed
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped pecans, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a couple cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add in the egg and vanilla, scraping down the bowl as needed.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add slowly to the butter mixture.
- Turn the mixer off and using a wooden spoon or spatula stir in the popcorn, chocolate chips, and pecans.
- Drop by heaping tablespoons onto the cookie sheets. Bake for 13-14 minutes, or until golden brown.