Easter is Sunday and I can’t believe it. I might have believed it last week when the grass was green and all the robins were flying around. But as I write this there are a couple of inches of snow on the ground. The snow came down in huge, fat flakes yesterday. Now I’m not sure if I’m supposed to put out Easter eggs or get out the Christmas lights. 😉
Despite what it might look like out my window, the calendar says spring is here, so let’s get spring, ya’ll. So if you need a last minute treat idea for Easter, or if the Easter bunny wants a little something fresher baked to put in baskets, these peanut butter cookies are just what you need. And come on, peanut butter! Love! I swear the older I get the more I like peanut butter. I mean I liked it as a kid, but I was more of a macaroni and cheese girl back then. How about you? What foods did you want over and over again when you were a kid?
Speaking of childhood, these are the peanut butter cookies I’ve enjoyed since I was a kid myself. They come together super fast. You probably wouldn’t even have to get out the mixer if you didn’t want to. Back in the day we just used a big bowl and a wooden spoon. We also walked five miles to the bus stop. Or not. My favorite part of making these cookies was always pressing them down with a fork to make that pattern. I’m not sure why, by as a kid I always found that satisfying. I really liked drawing and painting, so maybe it was me channeling my artistic side. 😀
Not only are these cookies a great last minute holiday treat for a dessert table, but I like to think that they’re the perfect picnic cookie. They make great cookie sandwiches filled with chocolate frosting or ice cream. And just try one straight out of the oven while they’re still warm. Mmm.
These cookies can be made with either shortening or butter. They’re great either way, but butter will yield a slightly stickier dough. Therefore, you might want to dunk your fork into sugar before making the marks on top or things will be a little sticky.
Have a happy Easter!
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup softened unsalted butter or shortening
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a couple baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the sugars and butter together until fluffy.
- Add in peanut butter, eggs, and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl mix together the salt, baking soda, flour
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until completely incorporated.
- Form the dough into golf ball sized mounds and place them on the baking sheet. Press down with a fork.
- Baking for 12-14 minutes, or until just golden brown on the edges.