Ah, breakfast! Is there anything in the whole world better than breakfast food? Sometimes I feel a little like the characters on Parks and Recreation with my love of all things breakfast. 😉. If I let myself I could probably eat waffles for every meal of the day. And there is nothing quite like a stack of ooey chocolate chip pancakes covered in maple syrup.
But sometimes you need a fast portable breakfast…and maybe something that isn’t dripping in maple syrup. I hope that someday we live in a world where maple syrup is a part of every meal, but unfortunately we aren’t there yet. Keep crossing your fingers, people. Maybe it’ll happen. 😎
Although syrup is nowhere to be seen on these healthy apple muffins, they do have a crumbly topping, which makes me almost just as happy. Don’t crumble toppings make everything better? And these muffins are good for you! Woohoo! Each one only has around 216 calories, so it’s a portable breakfast that you can feel good about.
I really like this combination of of apples, crumble topping, and cinnamon goodness. Plus these muffins also have whole wheat pastry flour, which I love baking with. I really like how you get the oomph of whole wheat (is that a word?) plus the texture of white flour… so you don’t feel like a horse grazing out in the field.
I’m always really popular whenever I make these muffins. My cats Gus, Oliver, and Pie always seem to think these muffins are a gift for them. As a rule cats view themselves as royalty, and therefore they believe you must always either making something for them, or contemplating it. But something happens when I make these. Kind of the same way they surround my feet when I make pie crust. Cats like the smell of apples, maybe? That doesn’t seem possible. It could be that they’re just nuts. That’s all right, too. They’re my weirdos. 😀
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- ¾ cup plus 2 tbsp light or dark brown sugar, divided
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 Golden Delicious apple (or your favorite baking apple), cut into ¼ inch pieces
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl mix together nuts, 2 tbsp of the brown sugar, and pecans. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the flours, baking soda, and salt. Give a stir and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the remaining ¾ cup brown sugar and oil until well blended. Add the eggs one at a time, and stir until combined. Stir in the applesauce and vanilla.
- Whisk the flour mixture into the sugar/egg mixture in two batches, alternating with the buttermilk. Whisk until just combined, then add in the the diced apple.
- Use an ice cream scoop to divide the batter equally into the 12 muffin cups.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar cinnamon topping equally over the 12 muffins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.