Oh yes! Remember those mornings as a child, when it was ALL about cereal and cartoons, and the idea of a healthy breakfast never even crossed your mind? It was all about eating something that would have you bouncing off the walls three to five hours later. My personal favorites were Fruity Pebbles, Cap’n Crunch (the peanut butter kind, hello!), Smacks, and, of course, Cocoa Pebbles. And if I did have a cereal that didn’t seem sugary, like Rice Krispies, you can bet I put way too much sugar on top. Tell me I’m not the only one who had a ring of sugar milk in the bottom of the bowl?
In those days, after choosing your beloved cereal, it was all about hunkering down and deciding on the cartoons. The Bugs Bunny and Tweety show, anyone? How about Garfield and Friends? Darkwing Duck? Sonic, the Hedgehog? Chip n’ Dale Rescue Rangers? Actually, I think that one was on in the afternoon, but you can have cereal any darn time you please, right?
These cookies are a combination of those wonderful mornings with the universally-loved monster cookie. Usually monster cookies feature oatmeal with your usual suspects for add ins: chocolate chips, M&Ms, sometimes there are nuts. But I don’t know, I guess I just felt I needed to consume a little more sugar for some reason I can’t really explain. Oh, and by the way, these are almost begging to be dunked in the milk of your choice, whether it’s regular, almond, or whatever you have. I mean it’s the whole cereal and milk thing. It’s kind of like a rule. I wouldn’t want you to get in trouble by not indulging.
Just keep in mind Oliver’s helpful lolspeak tip when making these cookies:
You don’t want crushed cereal cookies. It just leaves you feeling a little let down after all the hype, you know?
If you’re like me, these little gems will bring you right back to those Saturday mornings of the 80s/90s, so much so that you might want to browse ye olde internet for grainy episodes of Beakman’s World. There was a guy in a rat suit on that show, wasn’t there? What was that about and why didn’t I ever question it?
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups old fashioned oats
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup M&Ms
- 2 cups Cocoa Pebbles
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream both sugars together together with the softened butter until creamy.
- Add eggs and vanilla extra and beat until blended, scraping the side of the mixing bowl if necessary.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, oats, baking soda and salt.
- With the mixer on low so you don't flour yourself, mix the dry ingredients into the butter/sugar mixture until well blended.
- Mix in the chocolate chips and M&Ms.
- Turn the mixer off and carefully stir in the cereal with a wooden spoon.
- Form the cookies into balls two heaping tablespoons in size.
- Place on the prepared cookie sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until lightly golden brown.
- Cool before eating if you can.
- This recipe makes about 18 cookies, depending on how grand you make them.
- They keep for one week in an airtight container, but like most cookies are best within the first couple of days.