Ok, this title is long! I mean loooong. It kind of makes me want to change the lyrics from B52’s Love Shack to “I’ve got a title that’s as big as a whale and it’s about to set sail!”
Anyone else feel like doing karaoke now?
So of course Christmas is a great time to make those old nostalgic recipes. Last time I introduced you to a recipe for the sugar cookies I have every year. And now today I have another recipe straight from my childhood.
We made these chocolate peanut butter marshmallow bars a lot when I was a kid. The reason is probably because they’re so quick and easy to put together. I had kind of a short attention span when I was little. Nothing like today and all. Now my attitude is more like this: “Nine hundred page book? That’s short!” Oh, how the times change. 😉. Somewhere along the way we stopped making these bars quite as often. I always wanted to try new recipes around the holidays, and after a while there are only so many treats you can make before you feel like that girl from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory who ends up all bloated and pushed around the factory like a bowling ball. 😀
Then about three months ago I was thinking about all of the desserts I’ve made around the holidays over the years and this one popped up. So I had to whip it up quick to see if it was really what I remembered. And it was. Fanfare!🎉. So I knew I had to share with you all.
This is a great treat to have around the holidays, especially if you have a designated “kid’s table.” Kids eat these up. They love the fluffy marshmallows, the peanut butter, and they love getting chocolate on their fingers. But who doesn’t love that? It’s Christmas, right? When I bake this time of year I usually somehow end up with a streak of chocolate in my hair like a highlight.
These are so fast to put together that if you blink you just might miss it. This is pretty much on the same level as making Rice Krispie treats. And sometimes when you find out that a whole flock of people are descending on your house on short notice, a quick recipe is exactly what you want. And, you know, there’s also that part where chocolate+peanut butter=love, joy, and perfect harmony. 😄
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups creamy peanut butter
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 10.5 oz bag mini marshmallow
- Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large soup pot mix together chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter on medium-low heat until everything is completely melted and combined.
- Remove the pan from heat.
- Stir in the marshmallows until covered in the chocolate mixture, but work fast so the marshmallows don't melt.
- Pour into the prepared pan and spread so it evenly reaches all the corners.
- Place in the fridge for an hour to set up. Store in the fridge.